Friday, October 06, 2006

Catch Up Day

It's been a little while since we've had some good ole knitting content, so that's what I've got today. First up, Phoebe Jackets (for lack of a better name). Our little band of knitters and spinners includes the Fabulous Phoebe, who earlier this year came up with the idea for a store full of luxury women's western wear; wonderful boots, jackets, bags and such. As a test market strategy, she's formed a corporation Girl of the Golden West, and the first adventure into retail will begin over the holidays at the mall. Several of us in the group are knitting angora trim for denim jackets, (you can see an example here, and here---be sure to scroll down), and I am no exception. Although I haven't done any 'sewing on,' I do have about 2 1/2 jackets done. The knitting is easy---even the buttonholes come easily after a bit---and it's been fun. The angora is handspun by a group of women in Chile, using drop spindles.....You can imagine the variations. I'm doing light blue right now. Next.....Alex's Cambridge Cardi. Since his arrival here, Alex and I have spent some time together, and he has pointed out on a couple occasions how much he likes zippered pullovers; you know the kind, with stand up collars and half zippers----rather like the Cambridge, only with a half zip. So, (dumb me) I asked him if he'd rather have his Cambridge have a half zipper, and of course he said, "yeah, if you can do it." Now, I have to admit, I wasn't all that far along on the sweater, given all the other stuff going on, (I have one sleeve done, up to the shaping, and one front up to the arm hole shaping), so last week at knit group, I polled the gals and decided to give it a go. I frogged the front, ran to the Llama Store for a longer circular needle and cast the thing on in the round, with a plan to split it at the armpits, and somehow figure out how to do a half zipper. Any ideas or suggestions at this juncture would be welcomed and appreciated, though at the rate I'm going it will be a little while before it's an issue. This is the furthest leap I've ever taken away from a pattern, so I'm bound to learn something one way or another. I'm still trudging along with the third pair of trekking socks, they ride around in my bag as to go knitting. I can show you sock one....If you're interested. Thanks to all of you for your kind congratulations on the new job. I'm having mixed feelings about the whole thing. I love the idea of working again; using my skills, having colleagues, and expendable income, but at the same time, I'm worried about the transition from homebody to working woman. After a season of being at home, it will be interesting getting back in the game. The old adage of use it or lose it, comes to mind, and I know there will be times I have to work really hard to pull up some random bit of information, stored in the unused parts of my brain. Fortunately, they will give me up to 6 week's of training to get me up to speed, learn their computer system and all that. In my whole career (not that long, but still) I've NEVER had 6 weeks of training. Never. And now, since it's Friday..... Have a great weekend :)

4 Comments:

At 10/06/2006 11:30:00 AM, Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Try Knit Wits:30 Hip and Easy projects. A pullover with a half zipper mens sweater is in there I think. Myabe you can borrow it to look at the zipper part.

 
At 10/06/2006 12:06:00 PM, Blogger margene said...

What a beautiful spot! It looks so much nicer than our dreary gray weather.

 
At 10/09/2006 09:26:00 AM, Anonymous Melissa G said...

Today (Monday) is my catch-up day. Congratulations! They say busy people get the most done.

 
At 10/12/2006 07:40:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Lovely beach scene - wish I was there right now. :) And I like those Trekking socks.

Wow, 6 weeks of training?! That's pretty intense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home