Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Tuesday

I don't know where to start today----so much has happened since Friday. Hang on, here we go! Friday: Phoebe, Darcie, Christy, Maus, Sabine and I headed up to Ellen's fabulous ranch for lunch and some fiber fun. For a complete accounting of the days adventures...check out Ellen's new blog. Friday night, I finished sock number one (on trekking pair three) while watching re-runs in bed. Saturday: More knitting fun with the gang at a local coffee spot. It was definitely knit sock day, both on and off the needles. Linda is still slogging through her dragonfly sock, and I got sock two started. Saturday evening, I moved the spinning wheel in front of the fire and worked on the baby alpaca. Sunday: More spinning, and then plying, and now we have about 400 yards of beautiful 3 ply yarn. I am so pleased with this batch I can hardly stand it!

Monday: Around 11:00 I met up with the girls for a bonus knit meet at another cute little coffee shop in Black Forest.....I left at 5. I'm reminded of an old Chicago song ".......time passes much too quickly, when we're together laughing......." The highlight of the day, for me anyhow, was all the positive comments I got on the new alpaca handspun. The lowlight, at least for Linda, was another setback on the dragonfly socks. She will either LOVE these socks when they are finally finished or not be able to look at them for a good long while. So last night, after the dinner dishes were cleaned up, I got out the alpaca batt that Christy brought me from Pagosa Springs a few months ago. She had started spinning her half on Friday up at Ellen's, had done a little more Saturday at the coffee shop (on her Ashford Joy) and I was amazed at how fast it was spinning up. I was anxious to try it myself. Two words: Instant Gratification. No kidding, the stuff practically spins itself. Now, this is a different style of spinning than the meticulous, short draw, worsted spinning I've been doing. This fiber begs to be spun into a thicker, loftier woolen style single, and after not quite 90 minutes, I had about 50 yards of 2 ply light bulky goodness, with probably 3/4's of the batt left. The bobbins fill SO FAST! I'm playing with the idea of finding more alpaca batt and spinning up enough for a vest or jacket. It's not the kind of yarn I'm used to spinning, but it is dang fun to get results so fast----nice for a bit of a change.

Just to remind you, Brett's ride is coming up this Saturday, and as of last night he still had lots of money to raise in order to participate (I think I said before that the entrance fee was $150---it's actually $250, and he's still pretty short of that goal). No pressure here, but if you'd like to donate, you can find a link to his pledge page in the sidebar---just look for the picture of the handsome guy. If you donate, leave a comment and I'll enter your name for a prize. Thanks in advance for any help you can throw his way.

Now I really must run----have a great day!

5 Comments:

At 9/05/2006 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Carole said...

Your spinning is beautiful! And I just pledged to support Brett. Hope it helps.

 
At 9/05/2006 01:15:00 PM, Anonymous Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Your three ply is gorgeous! I spun my first alpaca last year and it was fun. I made a fair isle hat for my grandpa out of it. I too found it needed to be a thicker yarn than I usually spin.

Your spinning is coming along sooo fast, Lisa! It is wonderful!

 
At 9/05/2006 01:56:00 PM, Blogger margene said...

Your spinning is fabulous! Three ply!? It's so nicely done.

 
At 9/05/2006 08:46:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

It sounds like you have such a great group of fiber pals! What a wonderful weekend.

 
At 9/06/2006 09:27:00 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

I am still in awe of this gorgeous alpaca you spun. Ladies, I got to fondle the gorgeousness in person, and I can assure you it looks like it was done by a pro.
You have made such incredible improvement, and I'm so proud of you!
I hope I'll be able to start back on my spinning soon, as I have the exact same roving at home. Can't wait to see what I'll make of it.
What are you going to knit out of it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home