Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Melancholy Monday

I took the day off yesterday not because I didn’t have anything to say---there was plenty to report after a fun knit meet on Saturday with the gals. Linda’s further adventures with the dragonfly socks had us all in hysterics for a good while.

I'll leave the play by play commentary to Linda---stop by and wish her (9/11) happy birthday, huh?

I even have 2 finished objects to show off, the baby kimono…..

….yes I know it needs sewing up. I’m actually contemplating substituting the ribbon closure it calls for with a smallish flat button. The jury’s still out on that. Details: Heartbreakingly Cute Baby Kimono, Mason Dixon Knitting Yarn: 2nd Time Cotton, color Nantucket---a bit more than 1 skein (of 187 yards) Needles: bamboo size 7 circulars This is an easy knit, and a fun pattern. I was endlessly amused to see it come together---just as advertised. I was really hoping it could be made with 1 skein of the cotton, but it takes so little of the 2nd skein, there is plenty for a cap or little socks to match. This particular yarn knits up really soft, it can be machine washed but needs to dry flat---not too hard for a new mom, right? Started on Sunday night (football) and finished/felted Monday afternoon is this.....

.......(Ignore the goofy woman in the photo---it’s bloody hard to take a picture of oneself) Details: Home Team Felted Baseball Hat (Decidedly Hilltop, HilltopYarn, Seattle) Yarn: Something I bought YEARS ago, I think it’s from New Zealand (sorry). The pattern calls for Cascade 220---what I used is similar. Needles: bamboo 16 inch size 10 circular and size 10 dpn’s I have been wanting a felt ballcap for quite a while, but every pattern I came across just didn’t do it for me. I didn’t need a hole for a ponytail, I wanted a decent brim (and didn’t want to have to fiddle with the pattern). While I was back in Seattle in late July, I visited Hilltop and saw this cap knit up. It’s an easy pattern, quick to knit and has lot’s of choices for size. It took 2 turns in my frontloader to felt to the right size for my little head (I made the extra small, for a finished size of 21 inches). I want to knit another one. It might be just the thing for some handspun (at some point). No, the reason I wasn’t here yesterday is simply because I wasn’t up to it. I turned on the news in the morning (as I often do) and revisited that very sad day 5 years ago when so many lost their lives to the worst attack on America since Pearl Harbor. I spent the morning watching the news and knitting, then knitting while I diverted my attention with a movie, then eavesdropping on talk radio. It was a reflective sort of day, rather melancholy. The upside is that I spent the lion’s share of the day with needles in hand, and I have a cute ballcap to show for it. Today there is household stuff that needs doing, and I really need to get the rest of that Romney spun up and off the wheel......and there should be time for knitting.

6 Comments:

At 9/12/2006 12:19:00 PM, Blogger lorinda said...

You're right, yesterday wasn't so much a newsy, chatty day. Love the ball cap!

 
At 9/12/2006 01:22:00 PM, Blogger margene said...

Yesterday was a perfect day to knit and reflect. You made good use of the time. You look so darling in the cap!!

 
At 9/12/2006 09:58:00 PM, Blogger Linda said...

The hat looks great. Good job. I updated my blog tonight, but no knitting content. I will put that on tomorrow. Today was about celebrating my sister's birthday...

 
At 9/13/2006 11:32:00 AM, Anonymous Lark said...

Love your blog. Very human. Some knitting blogs make me feel like it's a competition for FOs. That concept is so foreign to the knitting experience for me. Thanks for sharing your days. Have a great day, and do it on PURPOSE! Lark
http://www.larksheart.blogspot.com

 
At 9/13/2006 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Understandable about Monday...

What a cute hat!!

 
At 9/13/2006 11:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

 

Post a Comment

<< Home