Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ignorant no longer....

Just a quick note. I wanted to let you all know that Brett and Cora completed the 150 mile Bike Tour (for MS) in fine form. Brett said it was a beautiful ride, harder the first day than the second and up to this point they have earned $500 and $350, respectively. Brett also said that they can continue to accept donations until October, so if you want to get your name in the drawing you still have a bit of time. I think I'll draw sometime next week. Now, on the subject of prize drawing; I noticed that there are a couple of you who donated and did not leave a comment. I applaud your altruistic motives, but if I have no way to contact you, I can't send you a prize! If you'd like to be included, let me know----you can email me if you'd rather, there's a link in the sidebar. There has been precious little knitting going on here, and the spinning wheels have been calling my name for several days. Seems like feast or famine; either there's stuff flying off my needles, or my knitting/spinning time is taken up by other activities. Tonight, though, Brad will be at school late----I'm thinking a movie and some knitting are in order. Now, for a show of ignorance. If you have been tuning in for a while, you'll know that this day of the week is reserved for intellectual enlightenment, in the form of New Word Wednesday. Sometimes I choose a word I've run across while reading, more often I choose a word from my calendar. Today, I chose a word that I've heard often, and really had no clear idea of what it meant. I will tell you straight off, it's a good thing I looked it up before using it in conversation, because I would have sounded like a complete idiot. Laugh if you like---but don't tell me okay?? Today's word is misogynist or misogyny, which to my surprise means a hater of women (hatred of women). Not a word I'm likely to use to describe any feelings I have, but I have to say, I'm glad to know what it means and to save myself from embarrassment in the future. Have any of you ever misused a word and humiliated yourself in conversation? I'd love to hear about it. And finally, it's my buddy Christy's birthday today----go by her blog and flood her with good wishes, will ya??

3 Comments:

At 9/13/2006 03:17:00 PM, Anonymous Brie said...

Now I'm curious to know what you thought it meant?

 
At 9/13/2006 04:32:00 PM, Blogger lorinda said...

Me too! I'm sure I've malaproped before, but the funniest one I've heard was my German professor (one of the smartest guys I know), who talked about someone lying prostate on the floor. I had to bite my tongue.

 
At 9/13/2006 05:42:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I know I've had some doozies, but I'm drawing a blank right now! So glad to hear that the ride went well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home