Tuesday, August 15, 2006

What's new?

Sunday afternoon I met up with several of the gals who are now a part of Spinners with Altitude. My goal for the day was to get some beginners help in getting the Seraphim shawl onto needles. And I did it! 5 or 6 times, before I decided that lace is probably not group knitting (at least not for a lace newbie). I dropped yarn-overs, had markers slipping under yarn-overs and all kinds of difficulties getting going. Once home and re-focused, I cast on again, again having trouble keeping my stitches on the slippery addi turbos. Throwing caution to the wind, I located a pair of Lantern Moon straights, and I'm now happy to report 27 stitches on the needle.

Yesterday afternoon, after mentally tallying up all the things on needles and the things patiently waiting, I sat down to do some knitting. Having finished the socks and having not yet chosen a pattern for pair number three, faced with the infant shawl, I did the only logical thing.

I cast on a mitten. You may recognize this yarn as my handspun Merino/Silk---the first handspun to be worth knitting up. After knitting on it for a bit yesterday, I can tell you that it is quite fun to knit with something I, myself, have produced, but I still have a long way to go toward uniformity. For now, I'm pretending that I intended to produce a novelty yarn, and that great variability is exactly what I was after. Needless to say, they will be one of a kind mittens, and I'm hoping the recipient can appreciate their uniqueness :) I am continuing to get contest entries---ya'll should really read through the comments! At the very least, we have all gotten a better grip on just what we've got going, what is in the queue, and what we're dreaming about. I've checked out everybodies blog, those I could find anyway, and you people are awsome! So much talent out there, it's really amazing! You still have time to get your comments in, I'll close the contest at 7:00 pm Mountain Time.

Tune in tomorrow to see who will be getting this:

5 Comments:

At 8/15/2006 11:42:00 AM, Blogger margene said...

Oooo, yummy yarn. Maybe I'll win;-) Your handspun ain't bad a'tall. And I NEVER knit lace while being social and rarely even in public!

 
At 8/15/2006 11:57:00 AM, Blogger Carole said...

Nice yarn for the contest prize! And lace knitting is always difficult in a group setting. It gets easier but I'm still most comfortable knitting lace in the quiet of my own home.

 
At 8/15/2006 11:59:00 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I'm so glad you found needles that worked for you. We are are smacking our foreheads thinking "Of course, the needles were too slippery for that yarn for a novice lace knitter!"

Sometimes the light bulbs don't go on as needed. Glad it's going better for you. Not so glad that now I feel an irresistable urge to get a shawl going...

 
At 8/16/2006 05:00:00 AM, Blogger Alison said...

You'll be knitting lace in public in no time. Looks great!

 
At 8/16/2006 04:26:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Your Seraphim is off to a great start!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home