Friday, August 04, 2006

Final Vacation Wrap-Up (aren't you glad??)

I'm almost hesitant to do this, given the bad karma swirling around Blogger, but I figure I need to at least try and get a photo up----it's Friday after all.

Welcome to Lassen Volcanic National Park. This pretty little stream runs past the visitors center, where we stopped to get our bearings and figure out what we wanted to see. Brad and I thought this stone was reminiscent of a burl of wood, and oh so pretty. You'd have been proud of me, standing there on a rock in the middle of the stream snapping this shot-----I didn't even get wet :)

Lassen is an interesting spot, and one of the National Parks we had never been to, despite numerous trips between Sacramento and Southern Oregon in the early 80's. The last eruption was sometime around 1920, but you can see evidence of volcanic activity all around the park and it's probably only a matter of time before it blows again.

Here's a shot or two of the mountain.....

.......from near the visitors center........

........................and from further up the road. The road through the park is only open for a short time during the summer; there was still significant snow at the top (feet, not inches) though the road was clear. Check it out!

From Lassen, we went to Reno, from Reno we drove The Loneliest Highway in the World, Hwy 50; checked out Great Basin National Park, and ended up in Southern Utah in a tiny little town called Salina. After securing a room at the Lone Star Motel, we had a bite at Mom's Cafe before turning in.

Next day we were in the homestretch. We had lunch with Brad's uncle Brad (and Carol) and then made our way through Aspen and Independence Pass. Again, this road is only open for a short time over the summer, the elevation at the summit is over 12,000 feet. The views are spectacular....

Even the sock took a peek :) --though was not much knitting going on while we traversed the narrow, winding road.

After driving through a mother of a hailstorm (can I say that?), we finally made it home. Right about 4500 miles over 23 days.

I'm quite glad to be home again, finally. My doggies and my spinning wheel(s) have missed me, and I have missed my long quiet days, and my bed.

Tomorrow is a big day here at Black Sheep Central---the KWA girls will be bringing wheels and fiber and all things knitty as we have our first ever spin-in. I can hardly wait!! I'm wondering how many converts we will have by days end. I'll also be collecting my "share" of the merino, back from the processor, which I'm hearing is not as wonderful as we had hoped. I'll let ya'll know next week.

Have a great weekend!

5 Comments:

At 8/04/2006 03:42:00 PM, Anonymous Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Oh, all the snow! Looks like heaven to me! I'm glad you had a nice vacation!

 
At 8/04/2006 07:49:00 PM, Blogger margene said...

Look at the snow! Didn't jut love Salina. LOL
We have a fiber processer here in SLC that you might want to try.

 
At 8/04/2006 08:21:00 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Glad you posted these pictures - your route back (hwy 50 east) is one of my favs. Looking forward to hearing all about tomorrow. Wish I could make it down - but the other family reunion wins out :-(

 
At 8/05/2006 06:36:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Gorgeous pictures! I'm glad blogger allowed you to post them. ;)

Have you ever considered switching to wordpress.com? It's free, too.

 
At 8/06/2006 03:41:00 AM, Anonymous Laurie said...

Independence Pass is very impressive. When I was there, there were bicyclists making their way up too. Yow.

It's bothersome to hear the merino is not fabulous. Details, please, when you get them. It's a not-so-secret fear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home