Monday, August 07, 2006

A fibery weekend, indeed!

Today, my mind is going at warp speed in a thousand (okay maybe not a thousand, but certainly a dozen) different directions, and I'm really having a tough time figuring out where to start. I guess we'll just start at Saturday morning and see where we end up.

Saturday morning the girls from Knitters with Altitude came over for our first ever Spin-In. There were wheels and fiber everywhere! Anne was spinning Samoyed on a Schacht wheel, Christy was working on some llama/silk (I believe) on her Ashford Joy, Linda spun up a storm on her new Majacraft Suzie, and I worked away on my Romney.

Christy spun some hand painted silk caps, while Phoebe worked on refining her technique.

Kirsten spun for the first time!

.....and so did Leisel, both using the little Ashford I brought home from Washington. Both

Kirsten and Leisel did fabulously well, and I couldn't help feeling a bit jealous, since I struggled so in the beginning.

Just as we were heading off to bed, Brad decided (for some unknown reason) to try his hand at spinning. Now my dear hubby is a handy guy, good at building things and fixin' stuff, but I was completely gobsmacked when he sat down at the Ashford and did this:

So. Not. Fair.

Saturday also brought roving---great heaping piles of CRAP roving. It is so unspeakably bad that a photo would not begin to do it justice. What began as a long stapled merino with beautiful crimp, came back to us as fluff. There isn't a single piece that has fibers longer than an inch, and it is completely full of neps. When one tries to draft it, it simply falls apart; spinning it is just not going to happen. I tried knitting the roving on big needles----nope. And so, we're looking for suggestions......how can we turn horrible rotton lemons into lemonade? One thought is to felt the roving slightly, braid it and then felt it fully so we can sew it into rugs, seat cushions etc. Phoebe suggested stuffing toys with it. Truly, if you have an idea, I'd love to hear it.

Sunday, I finished Emory's clogs, although I've left the magic of felting to him. Then it was time to bring out Alex's Cambridge Jacket. Here's where it got a little scary; I couldn't determine where I'd left off, couldn't remember what size I was making----nothin'. So I did the unthinkable and frogged the sleeve in progress and cast it on again---after a phone call to Alex to discuss size. After 3 hours of football, I'm here:

I love football season, and so I was thrilled to discover that yesterday was the preseason kick-off. Football goes so well with knitting, particularly in the fall as the weather turns cooler; the fire is going, I've got my WIP and I'm set to spend countless hours in front of the tube. With all the replays, I don't even have to worry about missing something important (plus I've got TiVo---love that!).

And lastly----remember when I mentioned a while back that some swallows were scoping out my front porch as a possible nesting site? Building has commenced. Just now. This last week. In August.

What's up with that? Are they getting a jump on next year? Are they late bloomers? Did they lose their calendar?

Go figure.

5 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 10:45:00 AM, Blogger margene said...

Men! Brad sure did well his first time out! Maybe he watched you very closely and had some idea what should happen. The roving sounds terrible! Hope someone can help you!

 
At 8/07/2006 04:50:00 PM, Anonymous Chery said...

Football season is the best for knitting indeed!. . .my two favorite activities.

 
At 8/07/2006 06:59:00 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Wish I could have been there Sat. It's a shame about the merino - which is tricky to have processed anyway. I rolled some of my roving into balls, solar dyed them with food coloring and koolaid then knitted the roving. You could try that and see if it helps. Or use it for stuffing.

 
At 8/07/2006 07:15:00 PM, Anonymous Catherine said...

Looks like a great party? You didn't mention food, though, and I've never heard of a fiber gathering that didn't include food!

Bummer about the merino. Stuffing sounds like a good plan.

 
At 8/08/2006 08:07:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun, but what a bummer about the merino...

Hmm, those swallows seem a little confused...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home