Monday, August 14, 2006

Contest....and other drama

Holy. Cow. I mean it....Holy Cow! My inbox has been filled with comments on the questions I posed last week, and I'm having a blast reading all your responses. Some of you have gone completely over the top----digging through closets and so forth to figure out exactly how many things you've got going (you know who you are). Others of you seem to have a really good handle on things. I had to laugh yesterday when Anne pulled out her PDA to "flash her stash!" Girl has all her yarn listed, organized, sorted by color, weight, content, whatever----and it's not an insignificant amount. So I guess it's time for me to 'fess up, huh? Okay, here goes: After finishing the second sock of my second Trekking pair yesterday, I now have Alex's Cambridge Jacket, and the Seraphim Shawl (in its infancy) active. On the bench (so to speak) is the soft pink alpaca beaded scarf (from camp), and wee beaded purse (also from camp), and a "magic loop" sock that is waiting to be frogged. I ususally have one "epic" project and one TV knitting project going at a time, but I often throw in something else to break up the monotony. On deck and ready to go are the mittens out of my first decent handspun, the third pair of trekking socks (in the pattern choosing stage) and another pair of clogs. But when we talk about the want to knit list, that's where it gets really scary. I have new patterns for a felted ballcap and a felted backpack that I'm itching to try. I have my next sweater chosen, but no swatching or yarn bought. Brad has finally expressed interest in a simple fair isle sweater from the recent issue of Interweave Knits, and I have been wanting to try a fair isle for myself. I have patterns for a felted hedgehog, a felted sheep, and a moebius bowl. There are just so many yummy choices and a limited amount of time. On the wheels (guess I should count them too, right?) I'm still spinning the Romney (on the Kromski) and the baby alpaca (on the Ashford). We're not going to talk about the fiber waiting its turn. All in all, I don't feel overwhelmed.....I guess I'm pretty comfortable having 3 or 4 things active, at a time. I think I start to feel stressed about it all when there is deadline knitting, which I swore off earlier this year---hard thing to do though, (I actually have a soft deadline for the mittens). There's still time to get your comments in before the deadline tomorrow----and don't forget, de-lurkers get entered twice :) In other news, I'm sad to report that Knitters With Altitude is no longer, having been disbanded by the founder. In its wake we now have Spinners with Altitude (name change to come), and Nameless Knitters. Time will tell how this will all play out, will there be a merging of the two new groups? Will we remain separate groups providing more opportunities to get together? Will Kara leave Joe and the conjoined triplets and fly off to Jamaica with the money she embezzled from the ice cream and car wash joint her stepmother owns? Stay tuned for the next episode of............geesh. Tomorrow, my new adventures in lace. (I apologize for the lack of photographic material---Blogger is being....well, Blogger)

7 Comments:

At 8/14/2006 11:43:00 AM, Blogger margene said...

Oh I do hope Kara and Joe can work things out. You have a lot going on grrl!!

 
At 8/14/2006 11:56:00 AM, Anonymous Melissa G said...

OK so now I'm hooked--did you SEE the shawl in the new IK? I'm afraid to respond to your contest--although I have finished two WIPs this week I immediately cast on to one free set of needles.

 
At 8/14/2006 12:55:00 PM, Blogger Carole said...

Oh geez. You didn't tell us to count the stuff on the wheels. Yikes!

 
At 8/14/2006 03:13:00 PM, Anonymous Brie said...

The Seraphim shawl is interesting, though I'm not fond of the color it is being modelled in.

And in answer to your question yesterday. I have more UFOs than I am comfortable with. I'm comfortable with 3. Once I pass that number, I start feeling things won't get done. However, right now on the needles I have:
two bears, a turtle, a shawl (my first!) (Creatures of the Reef), a sock, 2 scarves, a dishrag, and a bunny. So that's eight or almost three times my comfort level.

Actually, make it nine, I forgot the candle flame shawl I started last night due to stress.

Everytime I have an overwhelming amount of stress I start something new rather than risk wrecking something in progress.

(Personal opinion: SWA and NK will eventually merge. SWA's member set is wholly contained in NK's.)

Hope you're having a happy Monday. I'm off to take finals.

 
At 8/14/2006 03:14:00 PM, Anonymous Brie said...

I count seem to count today. That's not good! :)

 
At 8/14/2006 06:53:00 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Ha! I just cleaned out my stash closet and all those boxes of Bliss merino roving you saw? Well they are now in rubbermaid containers. Yes. I have no more boxes. And I'm ready to start spinning all that merino. I have a 18 month rule and by golly, I'm sticking to it. And the only UFO is that shawl in knitpicks laceweight. I am impossible to live with - I'm so smug. Your contest makes up for the melodrama ... doesn't it?

 
At 8/16/2006 04:25:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Bummer about Knitters with Altitude... But I'm glad you have other groups, so you're not at loose ends!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home