Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Snow.....it's Wednesday

Thank you to all of you who sent positive energy my way yesterday. I got a phone call and even a comment from Dipsy, in Austria. It's nice to know there are people out there that are, well, nice, and even better when they let me know they are there. Thanks. The day ended on a high note, with dinner out with a group from DH's department to welcome a new member. The folks Brad works with are really the best, good fun to be around and very positive people. The spouses are good fun as well, and there are always a lot of laughs. Last night the 'Americans' were the minority, we had Germany, Mexico and India (I believe) represented. One of our German researchers will be becoming an American citizen today, I think. Congrats to him. Let me just interject something here. I went to a citizenship ceremony last fall for my very good friend Eva....little dudes mamma. It was one of the most moving experiences in my life. There were MANY countries represented (some I had never heard of!) and to see all these new American made my heart swell with pride and patriotism. There was a video message from the President, another video/music presentation about being an American and each new citizen was given a flag. The swearing in was done as a group and then each person's name was called and they were given their citizenship papers and welcomed. If you ever get a chance to attend one of these ceremonies, do go. You won't regret it. I awoke this morning to my sweet husband asking me "were we expecting snow?" I, of course, looked up and said "you're joking." So. Not. Joking. The rooftops were covered with snow, and even now there is snow clinging tenaciously to the grass. Just another friendly reminder that we live at 6400 feet. I have about half an inch left on the cardi's left front, and then I will be left to figure out the sleeves, and the button band. Any suggestions for buttons? Plain or fancy? Plastic? Wooden? Metal? Today's New Word is mostly for my own benefit, as it is another word that I see frequently and had no idea what it meant (if you know, keep it to yourself....I don't want to feel stupid, okay?) Sangfroid (san fwa) literally means cold blood. You can probably tell that it is French in origin, making it's way into our vernacular around 1750. It has come to mean self-possession or imperturbability, especially under strain or stress. If I understand it correctly, if you can keep a cool head in the midst of chaos, you exemplify sangfroid. So. How can we relate this to knitting? Well, I know that many times I have knit through stressful times, self-soothing as it were, and was able to maintain a certain self-possession. How about knitting while in the car, in traffic (not when driving, silly, as a passenger). How about in a hospital waiting room, or while with a dying loved one? While the idea of "cold blood" doesn't comfort me, the ability to maintain an even temperament, to remain un-perturbed amidst stress is a very good quality, don't you think? Make it a great day!

2 Comments:

At 5/10/2006 10:40:00 AM, Blogger margene said...

It has been very chilly here the last couple of days and I even had to wear socks last night. By weeks end we'll be near 80 so warmth is coming your way.

 
At 5/10/2006 02:52:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh, dear, I think snow at this point would send me over the edge...

Good word!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home