Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Oy...what a megillah

I fear today will be a bit random. There are lots of little things to talk about here, not the least of which is knitting and spinning activity. Let's get started, shall we. 1. I had some bonding time with my new wheel yesterday afternoon. As it had been sitting in the shop for who knows how long, I took a dust rag to it with a bit of orange glo and cleaned it up. I also removed all the spun wool from the bobbins, I felt like we needed a fresh start, felt in a way like I was claiming the wheel as my own. (Don't laugh, it's a bit like painting a house that is new to you.....you need to make it your space). Two different girlfriends have asked me what I've named the wheel. When Ellen asked on the day we liberated the wheel from the little shop, I really hadn't thought about naming it; I'll have to think about it, I said. Yesterday, when my girlfriend/massage therapist asked, and then elaborated by saying I not only needed to name it, but bond with it, talk to it, bring it tea (no not really, I made that last one up), I thought, well, I guess I need to come up with a name. Ellen thought that since it is a Castle style wheel, it should be called Lady something. Lorna, after consulting with her pampered pooch Max, suggested Lady Belle. After cleaning her, and spinning for a bit yesterday afternoon, I'm leaning toward Lady Folly. I am totally open to suggestions---shout out in the comments. If you think I'm totally off my rocker (a few yards short of a skein??) you can tell me that too. Here's what I was working on yesterday:

2. The red cardi is in the final stretch. Yesterday both sleeves were sewn in (and they fit perfectly---YIPEE), and I picked up the stitches for the button band. I had to do the second side twice as I had 20 more stitches than I did on the first side. After that little hiccup, the button band was a breeze, 5 buttonholes placed and the whole thing bound off. When hubby came up to bed (yes, I was knitting in bed.....don't you do that?) I was weaving in ends. I'll finish that up today, and think about buttons. I found some really cool fused glass buttons the other day, but at $12 a pop, the buttons would cost more than the yarn to knit the sweater. If anybody is wondering, I DID NOT run out of yarn....actually had plenty left, whew. 3. This came in yesterdays mail. It is the pattern book I ordered, specifically for the pattern on the cover. I actually really like it in this pale blue, but got to thinking it might be really elegant in black----for the holidays and such. Any thoughts?

4. I've joined Trek Along With Me....note the new button in the sidebar. This will be somewhat of a challenge as I am not an obsessive sock knitter, and not much of a hiker these days either. It's not that I don't like to knit socks, I do. I just seem to be bored with them, long before they are done. I ordered the yarn last week (shhhh don't tell DH), and it should be here in a day or two. What I need now is a pattern, simple enough for the car/TV/conversation, but not so simple that it is mind-numbingly boring. Again, I'm open for suggestions. The other perk is that since I ordered blue, I can make it work for Junes Project Spectrum Project. (Always thinkin' I am). 5. I want to say a word about girlfriends. For last several years I have been sadly lacking. One thing about being married to someone whose job takes them all over the country, is that while you meet lots and lots of people and have a huge Christmas card list, maintaining lifelong friendships is really a challenge. I so envy those of you who have a group a girls that you can count on, girls that you meet up with regularly, confidants. I'm happy to report, I'm getting there. But what I want to say is that I treasure those of you who stop in to see me everyday, here, and leave encouraging messages, email me, talk to me like we've been friends forever. Cathy, gave me virtual flowers, and is willing to share them in real life. Margene has invited me for coffee when I travel through Salt Lake City. Chris will stop by on her way to Taos in the fall, and we'll hang out and go to the Llama store. Stephanie has helped me through a knitting conundrum. I have never met any of these women face to face....but they are my friends. Then we have the Knitters With Altitude. I would never have met up with these girls (and Brian :) ) if it hadn't been for the Knitting Olympics, a poorly attended after party for Team Colorado and an invitation to join them. And they are now my friends, cohorts, enablers and peers. Thank you all for letting me be a part of the group----you're the best! Okay....ready for a New Word??? Let's try megillah, a noun, which is slang for a long involved story or account. It is, as you might have guessed, Hebrew or Yiddish in origin, and comes from a word that means "scroll" or "volume." The thought is that it began in reference to the Book of Esther that is read aloud at the celebration of Purim, and came to be known in the English language as a story so long and involved it resembled the ancient Hebrew scrolls. While the Hebrew form of this word is serious, megillah, and it's Yiddish counterpart are more playful and lighthearted. So with that, I will bring this megillah to an end.

8 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 11:14:00 AM, Blogger margene said...

You do tell a good megillah. We'll be meeting up at Estes, before you make it for coffee! It will be so good to meet face to face.
Cassie's sock may fit the bill for your Trek sock. It's easy and yet has some interesting lace on the leg. She should have it ready later in the week. Just have to say I don't know how you could be bored with socks:-(
Black is a little hard to knit (for me at least) and the detailing won't show up so well with black. But a black cardigan is always nice to have at the ready.
Lady Bella might be a good compromise name for the wheel. Just so you know I do have wheel envy;-)

 
At 5/24/2006 11:52:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Excellent word! Perfect for when we do our random posts, isn't it?!

I'm glad to have "met" you, Lisa! Isn't it amazing how blogging can so enrich one's non-virtual life?!

 
At 5/24/2006 02:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you...I bought fiber today...11 yards of looks like hawaiian print fabric...Renee was with me and that made it even more fun with her color eye. :) I will try to take a pic at send it to you. :) Have fun with the wheel...and I love the sweater..the finished one and the blue one yet to be started.

 
At 5/24/2006 07:17:00 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

I could see the sweater in black. And I love "Lady Folly" for the wheel. My C&C is called Harmony, the Joy is Joy and the Symphony Symphony (all very suitable) but the Schacht seems to be Scott. I have no idea where that came from.

I am getting to know more people too - it's nice to stay in one place long enough to do so - and be mentally ready as well.

 
At 5/24/2006 09:24:00 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Lady Folly sounds right. And I am so glad to have met you through the knitting olpymics. You are so much fun to talk to and laugh with. I am pea green with envy about the fabulous deal you got on the wheel, even while knowing I am not going to be a spinner for at least a year.

Congrats on the cardi, please bring it Saturday so we can oohhh and aahhh properly.

Where is everyone meeting at Estes? I'll be there Sat and Sun.

 
At 5/24/2006 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Angela the great said...

well I like Lady something, but what about Miss something...? Like Miss Bella. (Beautiful...)

 
At 5/24/2006 10:33:00 PM, Blogger Angela the great said...

Wow, Margene and I are on the same page, next time I will read the comments before writing.. :-)

 
At 5/25/2006 06:20:00 AM, Anonymous Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I'm not much help on the wheel naming seeing as how I've had mine for nearly a year and I haven't yet named it.

I'm with Margene that the detailing on that sweater could get lost in black and the details are really what make the sweater. But, I own several black cardies because they are so versatile...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home