Thursday, May 25, 2006

More Random Ramblings...

I woke up this morning with the thought/plot for a book, and so before I even read my email (shock) I opened up Word and started to write. Three phone calls and a visit from a friend later, I'm back at the computer, searching for the muse that woke me. While I'm looking, I'll write a quick update. The red cardi is done, except for buttons. It FITS, the v-neck turned out perfectly and all things considered it is a success. There will be pictures, once the buttons are on. Spinning is progressing, I've got one bobbin 3/4's full and enough fiber to fill a second. It is mostly good, with some sections of crap, but given that I've been at it less than a month, it too is a success. I'm thinking it might be nice for mittens, and I have two people in mind (no, I'm not telling--you'll have to wait and see). As for the wheel, we are getting better acquainted, I'm learning how to keep the wheel spinning in the right direction with the single treadle, learning that sometimes dropping my heel is the "right" thing to do, and all in all we are getting along swimmingly. Still no name, though I've had suggestions ranging from those already mentioned to something profane, the thought being that I can't be held accountable for swearing if I am calling something by it's given name. DH suggested that 'damn wheel' might be an excellent choice, while I'm sure Cliff was thinking of something a little more, shall we say, choice. -----reminds me of a story. Early in our marriage we lived in Japan, and for several months we lived in a little apartment on a pretty street lined with cheery blossom trees. In addition to the local folks, we had as our neighbors another American couple stationed at the same Air Force base as my husband. They had a little finch of some sort that they had named Shithead, (it was about a year after Steve Martin exploded onto the silver screen as "The Jerk"--remember that?) Anyway, this presented a problem or two; they wanted to get the bird a friend, but couldn't think of what they would name it, not wanting to hurt Shithead's feelings. During the day, the bird had the 'run' of the apartment, and one day, the couple came home to discover that poor Shithead had drown in the fishtank. Hubby and I, expressed our sorrow for their loss, but thought 'really, what did they expect? Naming a bird Shithead, geesh.' Moral of the story, I don't think I will be naming the wheel Damn---even though I can see the wisdom in such a name. Lookie what was on my porch this morning: All this yarny goodness is Son number 2's new cardigan, the pattern for which is in the new issue of Interweave Knits.

Also in the box is the yarn for the tummy of a cute hedgehog :

(don't ask, I have NO @#$% idea what I'm going to do with a hedgehog). Pattern by Fiber Trends. The yarn for Trek Along with Me should be here very soon, coming from Boulder it can't take too long can it? Completely unrelated to my normal blog fodder, this came in the mail yesterday (and you have no idea how excited I am!) During our last sojourn in Colorado I had this nifty retractable clothesline in the back yard. Loved. It. With so much sunshine and the nice breezy days, I could hang out a load of t-shirts and have them dry in no time at all. When we came back from our season in Washington, alas, the clothesline was no longer. We bought a new one at the local mega home improvement warehouse, only to find it was too short, and when we took it back we found it was our only choice. Last week, longing for line dried sheets, I looked for one online (I don't know why it took me so long to think of this) and yesterday---TaDa---it arrived. This morning, apparently before he left for work, Brad installed it, right where the old one was. Back. In. Business.

3 Comments:

At 5/25/2006 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh yeah, I can relate to the excitement of the clothesline! It would be nice to live someplace where clothes actually dry on the line, instead of hanging damply. :)

Those hedgehogs are darn cute - I am sure that you are helpless before the cuteness!

 
At 5/25/2006 01:02:00 PM, Blogger margene said...

I'd like to make the same cardigan for Smith. Did you get Cascade 220?
A closeline like that would be perfect for my patio!
You had better pick an encouraging name for the wheel...you are what you're named;-)

 
At 5/25/2006 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous cheryl said...

hi lisa, cheryl here from CKA, love the clothesline. love the red cardi, congrats on finishing it. i think of you every time i fix a miss placed stitch on the vest i am making from the yarn i won at Camp, lately that has been alot :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home