Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I'm really in trouble now :(

Yesterday afternoon I made a trip to Table Rock Llama's for some fiber to play with. Presented with all the options, I ended up with an ounce of baby alpaca, and a wee bit of hemp, just for fun. When I got home, I moved the spinning wheel to the room with the TV and got going. After an hour and a half or so, this is what I had:

.......about 36 yards of 2 ply yarn; and while it's still not "perfect," I have to say I am pretty stoked about it. There's a Beatles tune running through my head........its getting better all the time, better, better, ooooooo. This, of course, has brought mixed emotions to DH, who really wants to be proud and excited and supportive, but keeps seeing dollar signs flashing before his eyes. But even with the unease over the financial aspect of what is looking to become a new obsession here at Black Sheep Central, DH was quite impressed with the yummy, soft and pretty darn good looking alpaca yarn. I'm anxious to try more, but don't want to keep 'renting' the wheel, and paying for fiber ad nauseum.....it's time to "**** or get off the pot," if you get my drift. Thus, I have been on the hunt at ebay, for a good wheel at a good price. The one I was bidding on last night ended up going for $280, which was a killer deal, but over my self imposed limit. I'll do some more searching today. And now on to New Word Wednesday, my feeble attempt at enlightenment and education. Todays word is purlieu (purl-yu or for us knitters: purl ewe :) ) This is a word which has several meanings, which include 1a; an outlying or adjacent district b (plural): environs, neighborhood 2a: a frequently visited place: haunt b (plural): confines, bounds. Anybody want to guess where I'm going with this??? The local fiber supplier has become my purlieu, but unfortunately I am hampered by the purlieu of my budget.

Drats.

7 Comments:

At 5/17/2006 08:39:00 AM, Anonymous Ellen said...

What's up girlfriend?

 
At 5/17/2006 08:46:00 AM, Blogger margene said...

Damn budgets! I'd have a wheel if there was no budget.

 
At 5/17/2006 09:28:00 AM, Anonymous Ellen said...

How funny.......I only saw the title to your last post, the rest of the post didn't show up until now.
I was starting to worry that something was really wrong.
I'm sorry to have been an active participant in your latest addiction, maybe I shouldn't have helped you out with the spinning???? Naw, I'm not sorry, I'm happy to pass the bug on ;-)
Now you'll soon be like me; showing off umpteen bags of various fiber to everybody and their grandma, most of who could care less.

As to the budget.....here's the dilemma; do you go out and get a job to bankroll the new addiction (eating up precious time to spend on spinning), or do you choose to keep your free time, and thereby remain on a budget? It's a lose-lose situation.

You could always cut back on groceries. Wouldn't it be fun to see how many times you could feed your husband mac and cheese and PB&J sandwiches before he starts getting suspicious. How about a second mortgage on the house? Just kidding.

You could always tell your husband that it is an investment in the future. Spinning your own yarn would mean purchasing less yarn (a very good reason, unfortunately it hasn't worked that way for me). Or better yet; let him know that if Mama ain't happy, nobody is happy, and Mama knows exacty what would make her happy, i.e. a decent wheel and lots of yummy fiber.

 
At 5/17/2006 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

That's wonderful! Be sure to bring it on Saturday so it can be properly fondled.

This is one reason why I don't want to spin: I'm afraid of the impact on my checkbook.

 
At 5/18/2006 07:50:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Great word! Thanks.

 
At 5/18/2006 12:31:00 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I linked to you from the Harlot because I am about to make my first hemp attempt and was hoping you would have pictures already! Anyway, just have to add my .02 about the wheel, have you looked at the Babe wheels? They're not very pretty but they're very affordable and very usable.

 
At 5/18/2006 06:27:00 PM, Blogger Maus said...

You gotto get yourself a wheel girl! At least its just one, could be 4 wheels like other humans get ;)
You shoulda said hi and come introduce yourself on tuesday, I don't think we've met yet have we?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home