Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ready, set.......almost

There's something so nice about morning routine, and having that to rely on even when your day will be anything but ordinary. Tonight I will be getting on a plane (Lord willing....it's gonna snow), but this morning I'm doing my regular thing. Here's how it goes: When my mind is finally awake I usually flip on the telly to see what's happening in the world (favorite station is MSNBC). I spend a little time catching up on world events and then prompted by Kramer, head downstairs for coffee or tea and the computer. After checking my email, I check in on the blogs I like to keep up with, and then write my own. Today, my first visit was to Margene, who being fully immersed in Project Spectrum "tagged" me for her meme. Being somewhat new to blogland, I haven't done one of these yet, but as you'll see, I'm a prime candidate for this one. The challenge is this: find things in your house that are red or pink. Easy Peasy.

Can you tell I like red?

Okay.....how 'bout New Word Wednesday? Today's word is poltroon which is a noun that means: a spiritless coward. A modern day translation would be chicken, wuss, wimp.....you get the idea. Images that come to mind are the cowardly lion in The Wizard of Oz, Saddam Hussein when he was discovered in his little rat hole, most bullies when confronted. I'm sure you will think of your own examples. Here's part of what Merriam Webster's 365 New Word's Calendar says about poltroon:......." if you remember that chicken is dubbed 'poultry,' you may guess that the birds and the cowards are linked by etymology as well as synonymy. English picked up 'poltroon' from Middle French, which in turn took the word from the Old Italian 'poltrone,' which meant 'coward' and is traced back to 'pullus' the Latin word for 'chicken.'"

Interesting, no? Several years ago while I was home schooling son number two, we studied from a neat little book called English From the Roots Up. It was basically a Latin and Greek primer, tracing common words back to their roots. It was interesting and very handy for several reasons; one, if you can find the root word in a compound word, you can make a decent guess about what it means AND it was useful when I tried to learn a bit of Italian last year before my trip.

Yesterday, when I returned from the spa, I started packing for the trip. It's obvious by now, I'm either going to have to pare down what I'm taking, or use the larger suitcase, if I'm going to take a coat. The distressing thing about this is that this is the very suitcase I packed to spend 10 days in Italy, you'd think I could make it work for a week to Washington. I'm comforting myself with the fact that it was a totally different season, and while everything that went to Italy was lightweight and linen, what needs to go along this time is sweaters and jeans. Besides, taking a bigger suitcase will be no big deal, since I shouldn't have to schlep it very far, right? Plus it will allow me more room for the stuff I want to bring back.

Better make trip to the basement.

3 Comments:

At 3/08/2006 10:48:00 AM, Anonymous margene said...

I love all your red! And you remind me it's time to get a pedicure. I want red toes, too!
The word of the day is so interesting and the etymology fascinating.

 
At 3/08/2006 10:48:00 AM, Anonymous margene said...

Oh and good luck with your packing!

 
At 3/09/2006 07:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun collage!
BRT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home