Thursday, March 23, 2006

Random Musings

Sunshine has returned to the Front Range, along with a slight breeze. It's too chilly to say that spring is again in the air.....it is after all still March and the month of the greatest snowfall, historically. We've seen snow on Easter, and several years ago got over a foot in the late part of April. We've even seen snow past Memorial Day, so it's fair to say, I'm in no way confident that the worst is over. I will say, however, that I'm grateful for the sunshine, it truly elevates ones mood after several days of grey. When people find out that I grew up in the Northwest, the first question they ask (9 times out of 10) is "does it really rain all the time?" My answer is that yes, it does rain a lot, but the consolation prize is the beautiful green you see everwhere. I'm also asked if it's depressing living in all that rain, and my answer is "why do you think they invented Starbucks?" It does seem interesting that in a place that is grey and damp for a good part of the year, we have the genesis of Starbucks Coffee, America's drug of choice, as well as Microsoft and the computer gaming industry and perhaps even more importantly, Boeing, who manufactures the ultimate means of escape. Honestly, I never really thought much about the rain until I moved away and realized that it doesn't rain like that everywhere. When you grow up in that climate, you learn to cope with it. You understand that if the weather report says there's a 30% chance of rain, it will rain 30% of the day, and more than likely during the time you are planning your picnic. After a bit you understand the differences between "rain" "showers" "damp" "light rain" "sprinkles" "mist" "stormy" "cloudbursts" "thunderstorms" and all the other things the newspeople use to euphemize WET. You learn to always take an umbrella, to have a raincoat in your car and the importance of good wiperblades. The other thing you learn is that you can grow ANYTHING in the Northwest. The variety of plant life is simply stunning. The undergrowth in the many wooded areas is too thick to walk through, ferns, wild berries, moss and fungi abound. Leave something in a vacant lot and the next time you return you'll have to whack back the blackberries to find it. When I moved to Colorado I asked the gals at the elementary school that my son went to where I could buy fruit trees. They laughed at me. I planted tomatoes in the back flower bed and was coping with the short growing season and looking forward to tomatoes when along came a thunderstorm and the hail beat the snot out of every single baby tomato. And so I rejoice in the one nectarine that our tree produced last year, find happiness in what does grow (realizing I won't see it till May or June) and buy my produce at the market. Now, on to other things. Not much in the way of knitting happened yesterday, I spent most of my time either on the computer or on the phone. The computer has a way of sucking me in (I heard that snicker), and I hear the tone sound when new mail is delivered or someone is sending a message, drawing me like a moth to a flame. I. Just. Can't. Leave. It. Alone. (call me weak) Last night we went for dinner with our friends, and I knit a little, while their dog found a comfy spot on my lap. Once home I watched a little Tivo and knit a few rows on the body of the sweater. Perhaps today I can "finish" the sleeve, and then maybe knit on the sock or something else for a bit of variety. And now a treat :). When I opened my email this morning, a friend had sent me a link to this website. What a display of imagination. Any of you who are art lovers, will truly appreciate this. Any who enjoy a bit of whimsy will as well. And for those of you who walk around like you're the center of the universe, you will have to re-evaluate. Go on, check it out and let me know what you think. Here's a teaser!

6 Comments:

At 3/23/2006 11:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning...doing laundry and stopped a minute to read your 'musings'and looked at the website that you posted...that is just what the Dr. ordered today!! :) Thanks for sharing. It is very interesting to just go through and look at the next pic. ;) Have a great day in the sun...it is brighter here today too in the beautiful PNW. M

 
At 3/23/2006 12:50:00 PM, Blogger margene said...

I knew it was a rooster! How fun. We have sun today, too. I do hear more snow for the weekend, however..blah.
The summers in Seattle are usually beautiful but winter I can pass up all that rain.

 
At 3/23/2006 07:22:00 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Lisa, Team Colorado is getting together... see either Teamcolorado.blogspot.com or my site twistedstitcher.blogspot.com for details!

 
At 3/24/2006 06:12:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Margene mentioned that it was your birthday today - Happy Birthday!

 
At 3/24/2006 07:47:00 AM, Anonymous Shelley said...

Happy Birthday! I enjoyed cruising around your blog. I, too, grew up with "drizzle" "overcast" "mist" etc in Corvallis, OR and when I moved to Idaho I honestly thought it never rained. It does snow though, and now I've picked up a huge vocabulary of snow words!

 
At 3/24/2006 09:00:00 AM, Blogger margene said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day and do just what you like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home