Thursday, March 09, 2006

Man, I'm tired......

I'm here in Washington, after what proved to be a rather stressful day and trip. As with most journeys, mine was ripe with frustration and mishap, but I'm happy to report that I made it, had a fine welcoming committee at the airport and slept in a real bed last night. The first obstacle came in the form of yesterday's wicked weather. I'm normally all for snow (and lots of it, please), but on a day when I have to make the 80 mile trek to the airport, I'd just rather not have to deal with a storm, ya know? The frustration is only intensified by the fact that I live about 5 miles from a perfectly lovely airport, but one that the airlines have decided they can charge us an extra $100 to retrieve us from. Again, I digress. I made the meet up with my darling hubby at the north end of town and we started out. Stopping for gas, we decided new wiper blades were going to be a necessity, and picked some up at the gas station. What is usually a simple process was anything but, and poor Brad nearly froze to death in the sideways snow trying to get the blade in place. After getting only one side done, we were again on the road. Now, when we make this trip to Denver International Airport, there are several routes one can take. The route we normally choose employs a toll road, a more direct shot with less traffic. Shortly after turning onto this road, the warning signs told us that the road was closed ahead due to an accident. It cost us $1.50 to turn around and choose another route. Arriving at DIA, we're informed that the covered parking garages were all full (they were not) and so we trekked from the economy lot, schleppping the luggage on a conveniently abandoned cart. Once checked in we had a bite to eat, and I made my way to the gate for my flight that was only slightly delayed. I want to interject here one of the oddities of human behavior. Why is it that people crowd around the entry to the jet way, as if they will get to leave any sooner than the rest of us? No kidding, the plane was not even at the gate, and folks were clambering around near the door. The travelers coming in had to wade through a sea of humanity while de-planing. I wanted to tell them all "ya know what, you'll be sitting for several hours once you are on that plane....what's the rush? I will get there at the precise moment you do, relax." Once on the plane, armed with my knitting and my Ipod, I prepared to enjoy the flight. I punch the on button, they power is dead. Swell. Really swell. When I could safely reach into the case, I pulled out the pc, and located the book I wanted to listen to on itunes. This, however, made knitting impossible, since all my lapspace was being encroached upon by laptop. Add to that the fact that I could not reach the reading lamp, while seated with the laptop on the tray table in front of me and not one stitch happened on the the entire flight. Can you believe it? It was in my hands, begging to get out of the ziplock bag, and never made it. Almost 3 hours of prime knitting time, lost in the clouds. I made it into Seattle nearly an hour late, both sons and son number one's beautiful new girlfriend were there to meet me. We collected luggage and headed to their apartment about 30 north. This is my first trip here since the guys have been roomies, and while neither is Martha Stewart, they're doing alright. Of course, one is reminded as soon as they enter that this is a guys place.. This is my view this morning, the computer on the poker table, bike tires adorning the diningroom. The little round things on the walls are beer caps....who new they could be used in such a creative way? Other decorations include pin up girlies and movie posters, a veritable feast for the eyes. My plan is to take son number two to work in an hour, and use his lovely new car for the day...I'll eat lunch at the place where he works, run an errand or two, maybe have a nap and then head up to Lynden to see my nnephew's dress rehearsal for My Fair Lady. The weather is predictably grey, but I can say that the higher humidity is a welcome change after dry, dry Colorado. Camp starts tomorrow. Yipee!


At 3/09/2006 02:51:00 PM, Blogger margene said...

Glad you arrived safely. Enjoy your stay and better luck knitting on the way home!

At 3/09/2006 07:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poker table inplace of a dinning table?



Post a Comment

<< Home