Saturday, March 04, 2006

happy birthday!

I know it's Saturday, I know I usually don't write anything on the weekends, but hang on and you'll see why. While checking the news this morning I ran across something I just had to share. The beloved lighthouse of my childhood turned 100 years old on March 1st. You can find the newspaper article here. I know that there are lighthouses all over the world, but this is the little lighthouse that graces the beach where I have made so many memories. It stands next to the ferry terminal in Mukilteo, along the rocky shoreline and amidst calling seagulls and flying kites. When I was little, my parents would take me to the park to look for tiny crabs, hiding under the rocks on the beach. Many times I would bring rocks and crabs home, only to later bury the crabs in the flower bed in the back yard. On Friday nights, we would go to dinner at Taylor's Landing (now a different restaurant) and eat french dips and watch the ferry come and go to Whidbey Island. We would get ice cream and walk over the the lighthouse, or watch the folks fishing from the pier. As a teenager, there were dates at the beach, bonfires and volleyball games, doing things that teens ought not do, all under the watchful gaze of the lighthouse. As the sun set over the Olympic Mountains, we would snuggle under blankets, near fires and listen to the wave crashing against the shore. When my boys were little, I brought them to the beach to hunt for crabs and seashells, and still the lighthouse stood guard. While we looked for souvenirs, the sea lions surfaced, the jet skis bounced by on the waves and that solid beacon stood by. Once, while in the area on vacation, I came across a watercolor print of the lighthouse and the mountains in the background at a shop in the mall. I bought the print and it hangs in my family room, a reminder of happy times, of walks on the beach, flying kites in the park, ice cream and fish & chips. No trip to the Northwest is complete for me without a trip to the little beach at Mukilteo. I will go next week.....and wish the lighthouse happy birthday.

2 Comments:

At 3/04/2006 04:20:00 PM, Anonymous margene said...

My brother lived in Mukilteo and he is still near there. We visited the light house a few years ago!

 
At 3/06/2006 07:24:00 PM, Blogger One Hour Photo Tourist said...

I just posted some photo stories of Mukilteo and its waterfront. I work just up the road from the ferry terminal. Hope these photos give you something to look forward to. Here is my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home