Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Temptation

Robert Orben said "Most people want to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch." Temptation has been delivered to my doorstep in the form of this box.

Last week I placed an order with my favorite online yarn provider KnitPicks, and inside this box are a couple of patterns, a color card for cotton yarn and the wool I need to knit felted clogs for my friend Eva, and my nephew Emory. There are also a couple balls of wool for felted apples. The box came yesterday, and so far I've resisted the tempatation to open the box and play with what's inside.......a major feat. The truth is, I don't trust myself. Knitters are a fickle bunch, all it takes is a yummy yarn to divert our attention away from what we're working on and focus it on a new, exciting possibilty. Opening this box is all the excuse I would need to take a break from intarsia rosebuds (break??? who needs a break?).

The cardie is coming along very well, back, left front and half of the first sleeve are done. I'll spare you the picture, as it looks much the same as yesterday. I'm hoping to finish the sleeve and get a good start on the right front today. It really is going much quicker than I thought it would.

Today, I'm off to join my hubby for a sweetheart lunch, in honor of Valentine's Day. This got me thinking about this "holiday" and it's origins. The History Channel had some good information. According to legend, during a time of war, the emperor Claudius felt that unmarried men made better soldiers. After Claudius outlawed marriage for young men, a priest named Valentine began performing marriages in secret, in defience of the emperors order, and was subsequently sent to prison and executed. While in prison, he fell in love with a young woman, and on the eve of his death he sent a letter to the girl, signing it "Your Valentine." Romantic, hmmmmm? Sometime later he was beatified and became the patron saint of love, romance, marriage and Hallmark. I won't include the details here, but if you check out the history channel, there are amazing facts about how many cards are sold each year, and so on.

So....Happy Valentine's Day. If you can't celebrate being in love, go break a couple rules in honor of the priest who started it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home