Saturday, February 11, 2006

Progress, sorta.....

The flame has been lit, the games have begun and my own knitting race is showing progress. The astute knitter will notice that I am not using my beloved lantern moon straight needles. Following the plan set forth yesterday, I knit up a swatch using both size 5 and size 6 needles, and while either would have worked, it turned out that I really liked the look I was getting using a size 4 (with size 3 for the seed stitch "ribbing"). Since lantern moon only goes as low as size 5, I was left with my size 4 Addi Turbo's. As I mentioned a day or two ago, this is my first foray into intarsia. I had worked up a swatch last summer, just after I bought the yarn, so I understood the concept. What I just learned this morning, is that I wasn't getting it quite right. For a brief moment I actually considered starting over (and I may still), but since this is an exercise in knitterly improvement, I think I will press on, perfecting my technique as I go. With each new project I begin, I try to choose something that will expand my knowledge base by teaching me something new. This project is no exception. Here's what I'm learning: 1. While I really enjoy Fair Isle, I'm just not sure intarsia is my thing. 2. This is NOT a TV project.....one really must pay attention to the knitting. Thanks goodness for Tivo. 3. You must weave in the ends as you go, or be faced with hours of weaving when you've finished. Frankly, the idea of this makes me nauseous. 4. It's better to overestimate the amount of color you may need than to underestimate and have more ends. 5. I really should be knitting instead of writing. The good news is that based on my progress of just a few hours, this is totally do-able in 16 days. I'm not getting cocky, mind you (I'm smart enought not to laugh in the face of the knitting gods), but I'm feeling much better about my choice than I was just a few days ago. My short term goal is to have the back done by the end of the weekend. best get to it............................... Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 2/12/2006 10:56:00 PM, Blogger Angela the great said...

You are going to do brilliantly...I can feel it. I am excited to see the finished product.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home